The View From Here

Friday, January 05, 2007

Creativity

Writing about creativity got me to thinking…a very dangerous thing indeed. I have a terrible habit of rolling ideas around in my mind ad nauseam until I do nothing with the idea. This has been an on-going issue with me.

Let’s take being creative. I love creativity. I enjoy drawing, photography, writing, making jewelry, painting…the list goes on and on. However, I find that I don’t incorporate those loves into my work. I have been trying to figure out why I don’t.

I have assumed that there had to be two different areas of my life…the work one and the personal one. I have kept them compartmentalized my entire career. The people I work with are not the people I socialize with. The same holds true for the people I meet through work. I struggle with getting over this assumption. I’m making progress though.

I am trying to bring creativity into my work. The idea is to make work more like fun and to enjoy what I’m doing more than I already do. It has helped that both my bosses love that I’m creative. I’ve convinced them to redesign our website and make it completely non-traditional. I’ve used my creativity to come up with a novel design for the new site. Now, I’m working on rewriting all the content.

Actually I’m procrastinating by blogging instead. So here’s my theme for our website…A single drop of water can send a ripple for miles; similarly a single idea, given at the right time, can help you for years to come. I’m using a raindrop theme throughout the site. My concept is to tie the knowledge and solutions we share with clients is similar to the power of a raindrop.

Now I have no idea how this will all turn out. We’re in the initial design phases. But, it is more exciting to be writing about accounting from a creative point-of-view than from the traditional boring one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home